Sunday, January 17, 2010

In my reading for the first part of the course I went through two main articles concerning informal networking. First one titled Six Myths About Informal Networks — and How To Overcome Them and the second The People Who Make Organizations Go - or Stop. I was surely amazed to learn how essential informal networking is to the growth of an organization.
First and for most, though most executives seem to have an understanding of the idea and how it works, they seem to lack the ability to put it into their use. Many other readings that I came across did in fact clear all the misconceptions that executives might have due to their education or professional background and made it easy for them to take advantage of it. What I would like to see is whether the idea of informal networking is a global idea that could be applied specifically in developing countries whose business practices are truly relied on first-hand personal relationships rather than anything else.
Since executives seem to be relying only on parts of the available technology that their corporations offer, an integrated mixture of modern technology and traditional methods such as increased flexibility and cross-unit collaborations would be the basis in identifying the defined expert for the right position. What I particularly liked during my readings was the notion that managers could become a bottleneck and the solutions that were offered to resolve such a problem, since surely it is part of their responsibility to do so and many still fail to do it for reasons such as unintentional negligence.

1 comment:

  1. I doubt that informal (social) networking is a global idea, the one that everybody heard of. I agree that the concept itself can be useful for developing countries where personal relationships determine professional success. I also believe, that to take business advantage of social networking, one does not have to know about the concept. I am sure businesses in many developing countries already use this concept and, probably, better than companies in the developed world.

    ReplyDelete